Not getting pregnant?

If you are trying for a baby and month after month goes by without any sign of a pregnancy, you’re not alone.

9 per cent of couples have trouble conceiving at some time.

If you have been trying to conceive for a year or more, it’s time to see a doctor. If you are over 35 you should see a doctor if you have been trying to conceive for six months or more.

Your doctor might conduct some tests on you (and your partner, if appropriate) to find out why you are not conceiving. He or she might refer you to a fertility specialist. The fertility specialist will do further testing to try to determine the cause of the problem. Depending on the cause, your doctor or fertility specialist may suggest assisted reproductive treatment (ART).

Andrology Australia has information about male infertility.

Access Australia is a national infertility network that offers information, support and referral to people experiencing infertility problems.

The following websites may be useful for people who are considering assisted reproductive treatment (ART):

The Fertility Society of Australia has a list of accredited assisted reproductive treatment (ART) units in each state.

The Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) has information about assisted reproductive treatment, such as IVF, including the potential health effects of IVF.